Hello, Smiling Faces!
Happy February! February is the month of love. Valentine’s Day was celebrated a few days ago and hopefully, you showed love to those dear to your heart. This is the second blog post for men and I’ve received a lot of great feedback. Thank you so much for reading and sharing with others! Since February is the month of love, I would like to share a few thoughts on self-care and loving on yourself. Men, let’s dive in!
How often do you incorporate self-care as part of your overall well-being? Practicing self-care isn’t always easy. With busy schedules, demanding careers, or supportive families it can be difficult to find the time. Self-care isn’t just for women. Men can enjoy it as well. Most men are conditioned to think of themselves as providing for their families and will tend to put themselves last on the priority list. Men, self-care is important and you should prioritize it as well.
Do you routinely play down those days of feeling tired or experiencing those trying moments? Do you find the time to slow down and regroup? Women generally find the time, whether it’s a moment to catch up with girlfriends, enjoying a pampering day or home relaxing with a bubble bath and candles burning. Many men feel as if the only way to succeed or be successful is to become a workaholic. The idea of taking care of yourself may make you feel weak or feminine. Let me break that mindset and LOUDLY say that is incorrect! You deserve it. Men tend to fall back when it comes to self-care and the lack thereof, can result in chronic aches and pains to lacking energy. Your mood will change and alter your behavior and thinking.
You are worth every bit of love and care you desire, want and need. Self-care is an investment of time to slow down and take care of yourself. It is about promoting and increasing your overall mental, physical and spiritual well-being.
Here are a few self-care tips:
1. Make Time for Yourself. Get organized. This is the first step. Making time for yourself isn’t selfish, it is necessary to becoming your best self. Maybe it’s going to the gym, reading your favorite magazine or listening to your favorite album. Enjoying some alone time will allow for deep meditation.
2. Pamper Yourself. Schedule a facial, manicure or pedicure. A relaxation massage is always a great idea. Pamper days are not just for women. Take advantage of some time to be pampered.
3. Manage Stress. Recognize your burnout signs. Sometimes, you may have to take a short break from a particular task or work project. Taking a half hour or so to clear your mind can make a huge difference. Journaling is a perfect way to jot down your thoughts and clear your mind.
4. Exercise. Daily exercise can help you both physically and mentally. It may be hard for you to go to the gym frequently, but try to incorporate exercise to your daily routine. If time prevents a lengthy workout, spend some time outside or go for a leisure walk or run.
5. Quick Getaway. Take some time to rest, relax and rejuvenate. It does not require taking a week’s worth of vacation days. A perfect staycation is always a good idea. Taking a short break over the weekend, allows for you to return with a clear mind and can increase productivity.
Are you fostering healthy and nurturing relationships? It’s important to engage with those that you care about, and that respect and love you. Maintaining healthy relationships has been shown to positively influence your life. Self-care is a necessity for your mind, body and soul. Schedule your self-care time, and guard that time with everything you have. It’s a mindset that we all can embrace on a regular basis.
Have a wonderful week!