Goals, Goals, Goals!! How many times have you heard that word? Truth be told without goals, your personal or professional life just may be stuck. Stuck with stagnant movement. Setting goals gives your life direction, enhance self-esteem and self-confidence. In grade school, I had the desire to pursue a career in the healthcare field. During career days in grade school, I dressed up as a nurse, a position very closely to healthcare. With a couple of years remaining in high school, I had goals to attend college and start a career in healthcare.
After doing great research, there were several fields of interest that caught my eye. Upon entering Tennessee State University, I had goals. I earned a Bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Administration and Planning and begin pursuing my Master’s degree. I often incurred minor setbacks along the way, but I didn’t give up. I was working full-time going to school at night and taking online classes. With goals on paper, working extremely hard and mentors along the way, I achieved two Masters. I have been blessed with great jobs allowing me to build on a career I LOVE!
What goals do you have set for your life? Setting goals will allow you to have a vision of what you want to achieve out of life. Here are a few helpful tips below:
- Set Your Goal – Decide on the goal(s) you want to achieve. Setting goals is easy, but takes hard work and dedication. Goals should be carefully thought out. Clearly define your short or long term goal.
- Make A Plan – Your goal(s) should be written on paper. Post it around your dorm room, home or office. You are holding yourself accountable. Create an action plan with steps by measuring and tracking your progress along the way.
- Get To Work – Action Creates Results. This is where you put your action plan to movement. Think about how your future will be positively impacted. Defeat procrastination and ask someone to hold you accountable. Seek out a Mentor.
- Stick To It – Don’t Give Up. Consistency is Key. Visualize the process in striving to reach your goal. Keep your attitude positive and overcome barriers. The road to success is always a little bumpy.
- Reach Your Goal – Celebrate, Celebrate, Celebrate!!